After roughly 4 months of development Hubzilla 4.0 is ready to be released into the wild. We have implemented the zot6 protocol with major changes compared to the legacy zot version:
- Using direct push transfer instead of the notify/pickup delivery model.
- Inclusion of ActivityStreams (JSON-LD) as a supported (primary) serialisation.
- Dropping the requirements for implementations to support secondary serialisations.
- Moving service discovery to "Accept-header" based service endpoints where different representations can be selected by modification of the HTTPS request accept header.
- Separation of the portable-id from the signature algorithm used.
The remaining addons have been converted into addon apps. The addon settings are now removed and the features can now be installed and configured via the apps interface. Besides that, some very interesting new addons have been added to the collection:
- The photo cache addon provides the photo cache app which can be enabled per channel and increases anonymity in the world wide web. Public photos will be cached at your hub.
- The queueworker addon (admin only) implements an enhanced queue worker. This is only important for site admins. The addon is still marked experimental but does a pretty good job already. It has the potential to improve queue handling especially for big sites.
- The gallery addon provides the gallery app which has been enhanced and has now extended functionality: photos in posts/comments can now be viewed in the photo viewer directly from the stream and and images at the beginning of a post will be converted to an album.
- The TOTP addon provides per channel two factor authentication using timebased one-time passwords.
Besides that we have implemented many usability enhancements and fixed reported (and not reported) bugs. Please refer to the changelog
for a more detailed list of changes.Developers
: there is now a doxygen generated documentation at https://hubzilla.frama.io/core/
A big THANK YOU!
to all developers, translators and everybody who is helping to improve Hubzilla with each release.
If you like what we do, please consider to support this project: https://salt.bountysource.com/teams/hubzilla
- Hubzilla 4.0 requires PHP 7.1 or higher. Versions 7.2 or 7.3 are recommended.
- HTTPS is now mandatory.
Due to major changes to the addons it is neccesary to follow this update procedure:
util/safemode on this will disable all enabled addons
util/udall the actual update which executes git pull for core and addon repos
- There are several DB updates which can take a looong time (depending on DB size) to complete. Please be patient. If updates fail due to server timeout, you will need to apply the failed updates manually.
util/safemode off this enables the previously disabled addons again
- Install the upgrade info addon (optional) - this will show some info about the upgrade to your community members
In case you attended the RC testing, remember to
git checkout master
your core and addon repositories prior to the upgrade.
!zotlabs.org | Hubzilla Announcements
!Hubzilla Support Forum